As we head toward shorter days and colder weather, the task of staying active may seem daunting; but hibernation is not the answer! Staying fit in the winter boosts immunity by keeping your lymphatic system engaged, prevents weight gain due to holiday eating and drinking and helps you avoid the aches and pains that come along with staying sedentary. This winter, stay in shape and have fun while you’re at it! Read on for a few ideas to keep you active this winter.
- Take a Scenic Walk. Walking is an effective cardio workout that suits a range of fitness levels. Bundle up and sip some hot cocoa while you explore winter’s beauty by foot. It can be helpful to warm up by doing some simple stretches or moving at a slower pace for the first five to 10 minutes of your walk.
- Get Clean. Active housework tasks such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, laundry or cleaning the windows are great ways to stay in shape while also keeping your home ready for holiday houseguests.
- Head for the Hills. Winter is the ultimate time of year for outdoor sports that work up a sweat, such as downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and more. Grab a friend and head for the hills!
- Shop ‘Til You Drop. No doubt you’ll have some holiday shopping to get done this winter. Skip online shopping for the day and head to your local mall to check items off your gift list and get moving! While you’re shopping, opt to take the stairs rather than the elevator or perhaps park your car at the back of the parking lot to get some extra steps.
- Stay Indoors. Use the cold weather as an excuse to expand your exercise routine by checking out fitness classes offered in your area. Whether you’re interested in yoga, kickboxing or even salsa dancing, now is the perfect opportunity to stay indoors and try something new!
Want to learn more about maintaining an active, healthy lifestyle this winter? Give our Eastside orthopedic clinic a call at 425.823.4000. Our Eastside orthopedic surgeons offer the widest spectrum of surgical and non-surgical options paired with the most advanced technologies available. We specialize in meniscus surgery, hip replacements, shoulder pain and more!